When you are going to practice any type of exercise, it is important to have good nutrition, since your body will experience greater wear and tear or effort than if you do not practice it.
You should know that these homemade fruit smoothies for athletes are not miraculous and must be accompanied by a good diet if you want to be in shape. Your body works 24 hours a day and it is very important that you eat well when you are not playing sports.
The smoothie recipes that I will show you are suitable for everyone . I am only going to talk to you about 100% natural and homemade foods , and I am not going to go into protein supplements (to say the least), since this is not a fitness blog or to gain weight or muscle.
However, if you practice sports often and are interested in nutrition , these shakes can be very useful, so I recommend that you stay around for a little while and read what I have prepared for you. I promise you won’t be disappointed.
Table of Contents
Homemade Fruit Smoothie Recipes for Sports
I have selected two shakes that are very good for athletes. A shake for before training and another for after exercise . They are foods that you can find daily in your supermarket and I have not added any type of vegetables, in case you do not like green smoothies (although you do not know what you are missing).
Now yes, we enter the matter. We started!
Before Workout Shake
Let’s start with a pre-workout energy shake. It is recommended that you take it at least one hour before playing sports. It will provide you with the energy boost you need.
Pre-workout shake preparation
- Peel the bananas and cut them into chunks.
- Add all the ingredients to the blender.
- Add the almond milk and beat until all the foods are well integrated. If you like more liquid you can add more milk.
- If you like the smoothie very cold, you can freeze the bananas or add some ice stones.
Benefits of these homemade foods
The banana is a fruit recommended to eat before practicing sport because it has very little fiber and is easy to digest . Therefore, it will not feel heavy on your stomach when playing sports. The carbohydrates it provides are good for providing energy to your body. In addition, bananas are fruits that contain a high source of potassium and magnesium , providing an ideal functioning of the muscles, so you will avoid cramps and injuries.
The milk of almonds provides energy thanks to their sources of carbohydrates , so it will be very useful to hold a rhythm of intense training. These hydrates are quickly digested and converted into glucose , giving our body a quick source of energy . Between 50 and 60% of calories should come from carbohydrates.
The proteins and minerals that yogurt and almond milk provide you will help a better muscle recovery after training.
Homemade Post Workout Smoothie
It is important that you know that what you eat after exercise is more important than before training. To make a good post-workout shake , it should have a good source of protein and carbohydrates . We are also going to add fruits rich in antioxidants , since it is beneficial for our health, as this study shows .
The best time to drink the shake is 30 minutes after playing sports .
Preparing the smoothie for after training
- Peel the nuts and remove the shell (in case they come with it).
- Peel the avocado and cut it into pieces. Do the same with the banana.
- Peel the pomegranate and remove all the seeds.
- Wash the blueberries (if you use them).
- Put all the ingredients in the blender, along with the milk and the pitted dates.
- Beat until you get the consistency you like best. You can add more milk if you like it less thick.
Oh, and to peel pomegranates quickly I leave you this video where they explain it (see only the first minute, since then it is a recipe):
Benefits for your health
As I already mentioned a little above, a smoothie for after training should be composed of: carbohydrates , proteins , antioxidants and if possible “good fat” (I will explain later).
– Proteins : peanuts and almonds are nuts that provide more protein than any other. The peanuts 25 grams of protein per 100 grams and almond about 20 grams .
– Carbohydrates : the banana is a fruit that contains a high source of carbohydrates (23 grams per 100 grams). In a post workout shake you must combine glucose and fructose , and that is provided by the banana (in addition to all the benefits that I mentioned in the previous shake).
On the other hand, dates are also rich in carbohydrates. They contain 25 grams of glucose and 24 grams of fructose per 100 grams.
– Antioxidants : blueberries are one of the fruits with the most antioxidants ( study ). I do not want to expand on this point, but blueberries are one of the fruits that you should always have on hand, since they have many health benefits.
– “Good fats” : people think that avocados are bad because they contain about 30 grams of fat for each piece of fruit. Not at all. In an athlete, the avocado fruit should be present in their diet. They improve cholesterol levels, repair muscle mass and also satisfy for longer thanks to its soluble and insoluble fiber.
I hope you liked these fruit shakes for athletes and you already know that for any questions you have me at your disposal below in the comments.
Do not forget to share these recipes on your favorite social networks. It doesn’t cost you anything and you help me a lot!